Sunday, July 22, 2007

Words of Wisdom from Wayne

Up front, I am very excited to participate. I am thinking of changing my last name to Holt for the month of August. For the record, I was a driver with 60 additional pounds on me back in 2002. The entire time training leading up to the event I told my wife Anne there was no way she could do this type of event. Of course she did awesome and after driving it, I thought, give me a year of serious training and I think I could run it. A little inspiration for Ramon. So, I have only run it 4 years. I have run Legs 4, 6, 7, and 12. The last three years I have been a team captain and I feel pretty confident in knowing each of the Legs so if anyone has specific questions, fire away.

A key tidbit I will give everyone is that your sleep on Wednesday night is critial. Thursday night you will be geared up, and will try to sleep and it is also important, but if you can log in a couple of extra zzz's on Wednesday night, you won't regret it.

Also, you find yourself eating the whole way through the event. We just did Mt. Rainier to the Pacific (a low key Washington version of H2C) and one van had a ton of bagels, suger coated dried apricots, nuts, beef jerky, trail mix, ate at Quizno's, etc, and had a great time. The other van had carrots and apples and were dying. Eat whatever you normally would eat, timing is the only decision about food.

Okay, okay enough. Let me know what I can do to help. I have access to enough reflective running vests for the team and first aid kits. Let me know if you need them. H2C is very strict about the flashlight/vest policy so be prepared for that. Like I said, however I can support, I am there for you.

Later,
Wayne

No comments: