Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wasatch Back Relays

Hey everyone, this is devin!

I just did a relay race that is based off of Hood to Coast, it's called Wasatch Back Relays. I did the race with my high school cross country team. And it's hard to explain the different feelings and emotions that happen in such a race. The motto for Wasatch Back is "run. drive.sleep.repeat." Except that sleep isn't really a major part of the whole experience. This race made me realize how much harder I need to be training. I thought this wasn't going to be very difficult and I was definatley proven wrong. Since I was with a high school team we only did two legs instead of three, but still I'm wasted. Last night I slept for 2.5 hours and ran a little over eight miles. The cool thing about the race was running at two in the morning. It's kind of cold, and you're excited/nervous to get going, and everyone has flashlights or headlamps. Some things that we and other vans did was decorate our with our team name. One van was the "estrogen overload" and they had bras on their van. Another team was the "Victourious Secret" and they had a blow up doll on the front of their van. Anyway that was fun to see the different creativity of each team.

Oh, something else that was really helpful to the runners was music. My van blasted music for the runner as we drove along side them. I have one more suggestion, and that would be for our "cores/endurance." My legs were rated moderate and hard, but they were both pretty short compared to others. They didn't seem hard on paper, but when running three miles on a steep decline you start to loose willpower and your inner core feels really weak. Anyway that was my experience and it got me pumped for Hood to Coast!

p.s. it was really fun to pick some teams we thought we could beat and then all work to pass them up! It just created a little push and fun competition.

2 comments:

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

AHHHHH! We ALL need to step it up. Let's do this!!

laurel said...

Devin, I am so proud of you! That Wasatch race sounds incredible.

Laurel