Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sorry for Cold Showers

I wanted to apologize to all those who stayed at the Holt house and took cold showers during HTC. I seems my hot water heater had a defective part that was causing the cold water to mix with the hot such that hot showers were luke warm after the first shower of the day.

The issue is the dip tube for water heaters that the builder installed when the house was built (1996) is defective. It is made of a type of PVC that breaks down after 10 years of exposure to hot water. This puts PVC particles into your pluming and causes a mix of cold water into hot. Every house in my neighborhood has had this problem as they were all build in the 90's.

The kids have been complaining about it for about a year but I just assumed they were just whiners on the second shower because my first shower was always fine. Although, I have had to crank it all they way up to get hot water.

Since I replaced the dip tupe ($10) and flushed the water heater showers are now scalding hot - even on the third shower.

1 comment:

neffgang said...

Don't worry about it. We've already made reservations at the Dyche's house for next year! (Did I spell their name right?)